I’m a communications consultant and trainer with over 10 years’ experience in public policy, media and digital.
September 2021 to present
Cast From Clay – Lead Consultant
I create and deliver evidence-based campaigns that have a national impact.
- Starting with audience research, I developed a campaign to get parliamentarians to use constructive language around childhood obesity. I won funding for a £90K pilot campaign, which I delivered across outdoor mobile billboards, and direct engagement with MPs and their offices. As part if this campaign I also filmed a documentary on location across England, to screen in parliament.
- I support policy organisations to review their communications and plan for impact. I supported a leading UK membership organisation to review their storytelling, giving recommendations which were all adopted by the policy team.
- I’ve created original training to give experts the skills they need to shape conversations. This is currently in private Alpha.
October 2020 to May 2021
Apolitical – Editor-in-Chief
I oversaw editing of courses and articles, and set content strategy, for a global learning network of 100,000 public servants in over 170 countries.
- I led the company’s thinking about content. Starting with user needs, I identified opportunities to create content that equips public servants to do their jobs.
- I managed a team of six content creators and editors.We created learning content and edited content contributed by public servants.
- Under my supervision, my team designed new content formats — written, audio and video — and began to produce them at scale.
- I set production and editorial standards. I provided hands-on editorial support and coaching: to my team, colleagues across the organisation, and public servants at all levels of seniority.
April 2018 to October 2020
Institute for Fiscal Studies – Press and Communications Officer
I managed day-to-day press relations for the UK’s leading authority on economics and the public finances.
- Working with key editors, I delivered set-piece coverage, like a season of BBC coverage across TV, radio and online around the NHS’ 70th birthday in Summer 2018.
- I extended our coverage by developing new relationships with key journalists. This led to original stories, for example on education spending.
- I trained spokespeople and placed them daily in prominent national media like the BBC News at 6 and 10, BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, BBC2’s Newsnight and Politics Live, and ITV News.
- I ran influential social media accounts. My tweets generated news stories: on retirement saving and inflation measures in the Financial Times, and advertising to children in the New York Times for example.
- I produced digital content that engages the public. By improving video production standards and focussing on topical issues, I increased average video views on Twitter by 299.6% in a year.
June 2017 to February 2018
Citizens Advice – Digital Communications Officer
I led digital communications for a national charity.
- I managed Citizens Advice’s Facebook and Twitter profiles. On Twitter, I doubled their engagement rates. I increased the reach of their Facebook posts to a weekly average of 61K, with 4.3K engagements each week.
- I commissioned and published articles to tell the story of Citizens Advice, share our expertise and reach new audiences with advice. My stories in our online publication reached up to 6K unique users per week.
- I managed the digital communications aspects of a successful campaign to pause and fix Universal Credit. This won £1.5 billion additional funding to mitigate the negative effects of the system in the 2017 Autumn Budget. I also designed digital campaigns for national events like Scams Awareness Month, National Consumer Week, and Big Energy Saving Week.
July 2015 to May 2017
Think Tank Review – Editor
I launched a business which briefed professionals on public policy and new think tank research.
- The briefing earned subscribers in Number 10 Downing Street, the civil service, government departments, parliament, local government and think tanks.
- I brought the business to profitability, winning contracts to deliver topical briefings to UK think tanks.
July 2015 to July 2016
KNect 365 Global Finance, Informa Plc – Digital Content Marketer
I designed and delivered a year-round content strategy for a £2M conference series on private equity.
- I launched a digital publication — SuperReturn Live — to host coverage of 14 global events. Here, I delivered year-round coverage of my events, achieving 3000 unique users in the first month of operation.
- I gained coverage for the SuperReturn series. This included stories in NBC, Bloomberg, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and City AM.
- I managed a high-quality video channel, and produced original content. Examples include a feature interview with Yanis Varoufakis and a livestreamed discussion with Al Gore. In this way, I secured 3500 monthly views for the channel.
April 2014 to July 2015
The News Hub Ltd – News Editor
I built a current affairs section from scratch for an open journalism start-up.
- I built 400-strong community of active contributors. This meant I could deliver unique breaking coverage of the Scottish independence referendum and the Charlie Hebdo attacks. I grew readership in my section by 58 per cent month-on-month.
- I promoted my contributors’ stories on social media. This helped to double The News Hub’s unique users through organic traffic each month.
March 2012 to March 2013
The Chilli Pickle Ltd – Communications Manager
I managed marketing for an award-winning independent Indian restaurant in Brighton.
- I created the company’s brand strategy from scratch. We gained a place in the National Restaurant Awards’ Top 50. I also landed coverage in Condé Nast Traveller and trade title Restaurant Magazine.
- I launched a new business, the Chilli Pickle Canteen, turning a profit from the first month of business.